Geologist advised developers to consult experts before building

A geologist has advised Ghanaian developers to obtain building permits from the Lands Commission and consult experts at the Ghana Geological Survey Department to conduct checksin order to ensure that they do not put up houses on high grounds, hills and mountainous areas which are prone to earthquakes and other seismicactivities.

A lecturer at the University of Cape Coast, Dr.Eng. Ebenezer Ankomah Gyamera, implored engineers to check the soil on which buildings are constructed and the materials used in putting up the buildings so as to avoid building on earthquake-prone areas.

He made these known in an interview with Kantanka Tv’s ‘News Hour’ program in a live telephone interaction in which he recounted how Ghanaians build on high grounds and hills without consulting engineers and obtainingproper authorization.

According to, Dr.Eng. Gyamera, there could be other natural disasters other thanthe earth tremors which occurred in parts of Accra last Wednesday, predicting that Ghana is likely to witness an earthquake soon.

Dr. Eng. Ankomah Gyamera said the recent earth tremorshave serious geological implications. He said places like Kasoa should not have high storey buildings because they are disposed to earthquakes and tremors.

The earth tremors took place in some areas of the national capital such as Dzorwulu, East Legon, Ablakuma, Weija, Achimota, Teshie, Osu, Accra Central, among others.

The geologist-lecturer said Ghanaians should blame themselves if disaster happened as a result of an earthquake or earth tremors because they donot care about the way they indiscriminately construct buildings or acquirebuilding permits. The emphasized that there must be approval from the Geological Department before any developer can putup buildings on hills or high grounds.

Dr.Eng.Gyamera said the government must work hand in hand with the Geological Survey Department and engineers to test soil for building, and reserve zones for put up buildings, while issuing the appropriate building permits to developers.

Previous Post Next Post